Space Tyrant: A Linux game server and C project
Space Tyrant is a free telnet-based space strategy game that anyone with Internet access can play. The game features include:
The game provides a universe and a set of physical laws where players can create their own strategies. If you're interested in playing or looking at the game, go to the game introduction page.
- player configurable starships
- endless variations of economic, military, and political strategy
- pure player-vs-player; there are no in-game monsters
- an in-game radio with paging and secret channels
Space Tyrant is also an Open Source (GPL 2) C programming project compatible with any recent version of GCC. It consists of a single source file that is an example of:
- a Linux / Unix daemon
- a multithreaded game server
- a network socket listener
- a memory-resident daemon with an asynchronous dirty block backup thread
Programmers interested in the C source code -- as well as anyone interested in hosting a game -- should go to the Space Tyrant source code page.
- a simple and understandable recursive sort
- an example of function pointer arrays implementing a menu
- a ring buffer message queue
(Submitted by Anonymous Mon Mar 26, 2007 )
Our content can be syndicated: Main page Mac Page
Copyright 1999-2005 Noel Davis. Noel also runs web sites about sailing and kayaking.
All trademarks are the property of their owners.
All articles are owned by their author